Holiday Sugar Cookies

Christmas just isn't Christmas without cookies and more specifically, sugar cookies. Their simplicity takes me back to my childhood when I would help my mom make sugar cookies for Santa. I think that the perfect sugar is buttery, not overly sweet and with a great vanilla flavor. I also like to add one special ingredient that adds a new dimension to the traditional sugar cookie recipe: orange zest. I also frosted my sugar cookies with Royal Icing from the Adventures of SweetSugarBelle's blog. I hope that you enjoy! Merry Christmas and Happy Eating!


Holiday Sugar Cookies

Prep Time: 15-20 minutes (minus wait time)                    Cook Time: 8 to 10 minutes
Difficulty: Easy                                                                                Yields: About 3 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preparation Instructions:
In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar and egg. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low and add flour, baking powder, orange juice and zest, vanilla and almond extracts. Beat until well mixed.

Divide dough into thirds and wrap each in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).

Heat oven to 400F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one third at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated) to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Frost and decorate cooled cookies as desired. Enjoy!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Comments

Popular Posts