Restaurant Review: Betty Mae's Restaurant

As a native Southerner, I am always in the search of great soul food. You know what I'm talking about--great fried chicken, awesome vegetables and casseroles and amazing desserts--SOUL FOOD! Well, I have finally found that restaurant here in Huntsville! Last week, a good friend (thanks Tiffany) told me about this great little restaurant right off downtown Huntsville and told me that we had to go to Betty Mae's Restaurant! I visited Betty Mae's last Thursday with my co-workers. Betty Mae's has the typically Southern Meat and 3 (one meat item and 3 sides with a choice of bread) meal for $7.99 (includes drink) during the week. Betty Mae's is open Monday-Friday for lunch from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. and on Sundays from 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. for lunch and dinner.

Betty Mae's is on a side street off Oakwood Avenue and the building is pretty much non-descript. When you arrive, you stand in a line to get your order taken using the handwritten menu of the daily specials. Once your order is taken, you are provided a cup with ice for your drinks (options are sweet/un-sweet tea, lemonade and RED KOOL-AID) and a ticket stub. After this is done, you can find a seat in their dining room which looks like a southern dining room with large tables. The day we visited Betty Mae's, the TV's were all playing Bonanza (reminded me of my grandmother). While visiting with my co-workers, our orders were brought to us fairly quickly. After a group prayer, we dived right into this great food.

For lunch, my friend Tiffany and I both had fried chicken. My main barometer of a great soul food restaurant is how good is their fried chicken. Using this barometer, Betty Mae's is awesome! It was perfectly crispy and not greasy at all. It had really great flavor. Also, the macaroni and cheese and collard greens were great. Finally, the peach cobbler was out of this world. The peaches were really sweet and you could definitely taste the cinnamon and vanilla. The only thing that was missing was some ice cream. Tiffany also had their Red Velvet Cake that was absolutely divine (their trick is that they put the cream cheese frosting on the cake while it is still warm).

My co-worker Debi had the fried pork chop, fried okra and creamed corn. As you can see, the pork chop was absolutely huge and she said that it was really good. She also enjoyed the corn and the okra.

My co-worker Sandy had fried catfish, turnip greens and macaroni and cheese. As you can see, the portions are absolutely huge and Sandy ate every bit of it.




OVERALL REVIEW: Overall, I would give Betty Mae's an A. The food was absolutely awesome and the service was great. The only thing that I would change is that I think that they should offer soft drinks. The ambiance of the restaurant reminded me of being at my grandmother's house for Sunday dinner. I would encourage anyone going to Betty Mae's for lunch is to go early (like 11:15 or 11:30 a.m.). As we were leaving about 12:15 p.m., there was a line out of the door.

 
 
You may contact Betty Mae's Restaurant at the following information:
 
Betty Mae's Restaurant
1222 Grace Street Northwest
Huntsville, Alabama 35801
256-533-2188

Betty Mae's on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts