Summer Squash Ribbon Salad

I'm BAAAAACK! After a 3 month hiatus, the A Man About Food blog is back. Over the last couple of months, I have dealt with work commitments along with service at my church and other obligations. To be honest, I just have not had the opportunity to cook as nearly as much as I would like. But hopefully, the blog posts should be coming back more regularly and I am so excited to share with you some recipes that I have in the works.

Last week, I had the privilege of stopping by the Greene Street Market at Nativity to provide me some inspiration for the recipe that I would use to reintroduce the blog. You may remember the Greene Street Market from my blog post last year. It wasn't long before I found some beautiful yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. I immediately thought about making a summer salad that would be great for family reunions, BBQs and picnics at the lake (Lake Guntersville anyone?). I got in the kitchen and developed this Summer Squash Ribbon Salad that I really enjoyed. I took it to a friend's 4th of July BBQ and everyone loved it! I hope that you do as well!


Summer Squash Ribbon Salad

Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes                                                   Cook Time: None
Difficulty: Easy                                                                         Yields: 6 to 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 1/2 pound yellow squash
  • 1/2 pound zucchini squash 
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 (5 oz.) package of triple-washed baby arugula
  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
  • Honey-Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette (recipe below)
  • 8 oz. block of Feta cheese, cut into 1/2 cubes
  • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  Honey-Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette:
  •  Zest & juice of one lemon
  •  2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  •   2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
  •  2  teaspoons honey
  •  1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  •  1 teaspoon kosher salt
  •  1/2 teaspoon black pepper

PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:

First, cut the ends off the squash and the zucchini. Next, using a Y-shaped vegetable peeler, cut the squash lengthwise into very thin strips. Place the cut squash and zucchini into a large bowl along with the cherry tomatoes. Next, add the arugula, parsley, basil and feta cheese to the bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, place the lemon zest, lemon juice, dijon mustard, vinegar and honey. Whisk to combine. Next, slowly add the olive oil  in a slow stream while continuing to whisk until the mixture is well combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add the vinaigrette to the large bowl and mix carefully, making sure not to break up the feta cheese. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper accordingly. You may add a drizzle of olive oil or some fresh lemon juice to the salad if it needs some additional moisture. Serve immediately.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Comments

Popular Posts